More than 30 states have actually seen a minimum of one rural health center shut down given that 2010, and the closures are heavily clustered in the South, according to information from the Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research..
Noted listed below are the 16 rural hospitals that have actually closed this year, as tracked by the Sheps Center. For the purposes of its analysis, the Sheps Center specified a hospital closure as the cessation in the arrangement of inpatient services.
” We follow the convention of the Office of Inspector General that a closed healthcare facility is a facility that stopped offering basic, short-term, acute inpatient care,” reads a statement on the Sheps Centers website. “We did not think about a hospital closed if it: merged with, or was sold to, another healthcare facility but the physical plant continued to offer inpatient acute care, transformed to crucial gain access to status, or both resumed and closed during the exact same fiscal year and at the same physical place.”.
As of Oct. 29, all the facilities noted below had actually stopped offering inpatient care. However, a few of them still used other services, consisting of outpatient care, emergency care, urgent care or medical care.
Nearly 1 in 5 Americans live in backwoods and depend upon their regional healthcare facility for care. Over the previous ten years, 133 of those health centers have closed..
1. Bluefield (W.Va.) Regional Medical Center * Provides urgent or emergency care.
2. Central Hospital of Bowie (Texas).
3. Cumberland River Hospital (Celina, Tenn.).
4. Decatur County General Hospital (Parsons, Tenn.).
5. Edward W. McCready Memorial Hospital (Crisfield, Md.) * Provides immediate or emergency care.
6. Mayo Clinic Health System-Springfield (Minn.) * Provides outpatient/primary care.
7. Mountain View Regional Hospital (Norton, Va.) * Operates as a nursing or rehab facility.
8. Peak Regional Hospital (Boonville, Mo.).
9. Shands Lake Shore Regional Medical Center (Lake City, Fla.).
10. Shands Live Oak (Fla.) Regional Medical Center * Provides immediate or emergency care.
11. Shands Starke (Fla.) Regional Medical Center * Provides urgent or emergency care.
12. Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center (Cuthbert).
13. St. Lukes Cushing Hospital (Leavenworth, Kan.) * Provides urgent or emergency care.
14. Sumner Community Hospital (Wellington, Kan.).
15. UPMC Susquehanna Sunbury (Pa.) * Provides outpatient/primary care.
16. Williamson (W.Va.) Memorial Hospital.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by click on this link.
More articles on healthcare financing: Up to 28 Kentucky medical facilities at danger of closureHCA execs keep cost-cutting plan in back pocket for next yearTenet reports $197M loss in Q3.
1. 16. © Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this material? View our policies by clicking here.