Jackie Drees –
Tuesday, October 27th, 2020
For health IT to meet its full capacity, it requires better methods for producing and distributing finest practices and supplying sophisticated tech support to health systems, according to a recent study released in Healthcare journal.
For the study, American nonprofit global policy think tank Rand Corp. collected info from 24 health systems throughout California, Washington, Minnesota and Wisconsin. A total of 162 executives from the health systems were interviewed about their experiences carrying out health IT and whether the tech has made any significant effect on quality and expense control.
5 research study insights:.
1. Instead of using federal rewards and requirements to promote health IT adoption, policy needs to be reoriented to supporting efforts that develop and share finest practices for how to most successfully utilize the tech to improve efficiency..
2. Some health system executives stated they had rolled out analytics and information standardization practices, which assist keep track of areas for performance enhancement.
” Some health systems plainly had actually developed or adopted finest practices for using health IT that others had not,” Rand senior info researcher and lead research study author Robert Rudin stated in a press release. “It is most likely that many health systems are spending considerable effort discovering the very same lessons that others have currently mastered. If lessons might be disseminated much better, it might make a huge distinction.”.
3. In spite of the federal financial investment of passing legislation in 2009 that triggered most providers and healthcare facilities to adopt EHRs, the scientists found that IT efficiency of health systems continues to lag across the U.S.
4. The scientists arranged a series of IT-related activities that could result in higher health system IT performance and sorted them into 2 classifications: setting the foundation for performance improvement and actually utilizing IT to improve efficiency.
5. For health IT to have a big influence on patient expense, care and quality control, the research study authors concluded that health systems may require direct aid with accelerating modifications, such as through extensive distribution of shown finest practices and more targeted tech and application support.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this material? View our policies by click on this link.
More articles on health IT: Moda Health coordinate with Fitbit to offer health trackers to 64,000+ members Microsoft vanquishes Amazon, Google for greatest healthcare AI offering, KLAS states Hospital CISOs to meet, prep for long war versus cyberattacks.
” Some health systems clearly had established or adopted finest practices for utilizing health IT that others had not,” Rand senior information researcher and lead research study author Robert Rudin stated in a news release. “It is likely that lots of health systems are investing significant effort uncovering the same lessons that others have actually currently mastered. Despite the federal financial investment of passing legislation in 2009 that prompted most providers and hospitals to embrace EHRs, the researchers found that IT efficiency of health systems continues to lag across the U.S.
4. The scientists organized a series of IT-related activities that might lead to greater health system IT efficiency and arranged them into two categories: setting the structure for performance enhancement and in fact using IT to improve performance.