So far this year, healthcare organizations nationwide have reported to HHS a collective total of about 13.7 million individuals being affected by data breaches.
Here is a breakdown of the 349 data breaches healthcare organizations reported to HHS in 2020 by type of incident:
- Hacking/IT incident: 232 entries (66 percent)
- Unauthorized access/disclosure: 73 entries (21 percent)
- Theft: 24 entries (7 percent)
- Improper disposal: 10 entries (3 percent)
- Loss: 10 entries (3 percent)
More articles on cybersecurity:
HHS unveils updated security risk assessment tool: 4 things to know
Patient sues BJC HealthCare over employee email hack: 4 details
Ransomware attack encrypts 30 servers at German hospital: 5 details
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.