Social media posts misinterpreting CDC data go viral: 4 things to know

The CDCs weekly update last week listed the comorbidities that contribute to COVID-19 death rates, consisting of pneumonia, diabetes, influenza and high blood pressure. The CDCs weekly report stated 6 percent of individuals had actually COVID-19 listed as the only cause of death while 94 percent had comorbidities also listed as contributing to their deaths.
The social media posts on Twitter mentioned that just 6 percent of the COVID-19 deaths were “genuine,” suggesting the comorbidities and not the virus caused the remaining 94 percent of deaths. “Its not 9,000 deaths from COVID-19.

Over the past week, social networks posts that misinterpret CDC data have gone viral and spread false information about how communities ought to react to the existing death rates, according to a CNBC report.
Four things to know:
1. The CDCs weekly upgrade recently noted the comorbidities that add to COVID-19 death rates, including pneumonia, influenza, hypertension and diabetes. The CDCs weekly report said 6 percent of people had COVID-19 listed as the only cause of death while 94 percent had actually comorbidities also listed as adding to their deaths.
2. The social networks posts on Twitter specified that just 6 percent of the COVID-19 deaths were “genuine,” recommending the comorbidities and not the infection caused the staying 94 percent of deaths. President Donald Trump retweeted among those posts, which has actually since been removed from the platform.
3. Robert Anderson, MD, the main managing the CDCs death statistics work, issued a statement to CNBC that COVID-19 is noted as the underlying cause of death in 92 percent of the deaths.
“Its not 9,000 deaths from COVID-19. Its 180,000-plus deaths,” he said. That does not suggest that somebody who has high blood pressure, or diabetes, who passes away of COVID didnt die of COVID-19.
More articles on data analytics: Texas city eliminates COVID-19 control panel from website after backlogged data dump WSJ: Feds may publish names of health centers with missing out on COVID-19 dataThis much unusable and stale data is careless: Florida drops Quest after stockpile of 75K COVID-19 test outcomes

© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2020. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by click on this link.